Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bry-Guy is AFK.......

At least until I can get my own connection set up in my apartment.  The free wifi that I was using no longer exists and paying to use the internet cafes is prohibitively expensive.

Other than that I seem to have acquired an electric bill that doubles every month.  I have a feeling that my faulty air conditioner which never seems to stay off is the culprit.  I went to the power company trying to figure out why a single bedroom apartment is drawing 1,200Kilowatts per per month and they're going to send a guy over to investigate my meter.

Good news is I got another part time job.  I'm now an aircraft handler and driver for Micronesian Aviation Systems.  Basically I pick up and drop off Japanese tourists between the airfield and their hotels.  Hopefully this will pan out to be more full-time.  Haven't done much flying this month because Micronesian Air's C-172 is getting a new engine and won't be ready until January.

I've been trying to get a checkout in a smaller Cessna 150 owned by Freedom Air; Micronesian's neighbor.  It's $30 per hour cheaper to rent and 10% slower than a 172 and would be perfect to build 250 hours of pilot in command time between Guam and Saipan.  Only problem is I find new mechanical problems before every flight.  It's actually quite pathetic.  First check flight couldn't be conducted due to an inoperative green (right wing) indicator light by the way are not required to be on for daytime flights, but company policy states that the lights must work.

Next set of problems after the first day were to find that the intercom batteries had died because the mechanic left the unit on and this made the radios unusable.  After fresh 9volt batteries were installed we then found that the starter motor slips and fails to start the engine.

So I rescheduled a week later only to get a call from my flight instructor friend that this time he found a bad magneto (one of two mechanically driven permanent magnet dynamos that provide the charge for the spark plugs,) so we rescheduled yet again.   So the next day after the mechanics had performed extensive cleaning of the cylinders, plugs, magnetos, and fixed the starter motor.......the damn green left wing position light is out again.  OMFG I can't believe this shit!  You must be wondering to yourselves if I'm crazy enough to strap this small hulk of aluminum and rivets to my ass and fly it right?


I'm heading home for the holidays with a brief stop in Tokyo and then on to NJ and NY.  Just a couple weeks, and should be back on island early January.

No comments:

Post a Comment