Monday, March 29, 2010

"It's going to be a long night in New York City......."

Went to see John Mayer in the round at the end of February for his "Battle Studies" tour.  First time I'd been to a concert in a 360 degree arena since Santana live at the Budokan in '03 or '02.  Didn't have the best seats but not bad.    I had invited my old friend Mary whom I went to high school with back in Japan.  I hadn't seen her since winter break in 2005.  It was good to see her again.  We nearly went to see Jack Johnson live in Tokyo for his "In Between Dreams" tour but she couldn't go at the last minute.  Nevertheless great performance, lots of catching up, wow it has been a long time!  I managed to snap some pictures with a little point and shoot:


The band had this four-sided mesh screen which was dropped down over the stage that had a projection of Mayer's "Who Says" music video which was very cool.  Pretty deep song too.
Here's a wider angle shot to give a better idea of the projection.
In the round.....
From left to right: Pino Paladino (bass), Steve Jordan (drums), John Mayer (lead guitar), David Ryan Harris (rhythm guitar).  The large vertical dark band right of center of the image is a column that supports the mesh screen.   
The encore performance, John was wailing on the blues and playing his strat on the floor Jimi Hendrix style!
As close as the camera would zoom.  


Madison Square Garden is an awesome venue.  Seating all around and concession stands all around the corridor behind the seats.  If you buy a beer on tap, they give it to you in a plastic mug that has a cylindrical space in the handle for a pretzel stick which you get with the beer!  


I wish John would have more concerts in NYC and perhaps at smaller venues to really get that rockin' atmosphere.  Later we met up briefly with another friend that I went to high school with: Yuri.  I think if I'm not missing anyone, I've run into 6 ASIJ alums in the geographic area.  It's nice to see old friends again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment