for further study of economics:
Liars' Poker by Michael Lewis
Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance by Andrei Shleifer
Managing Financial Risk by Charles W. Smithson
For shear fun and just because I feel like it and actually have time to read without being bogged down with undergraduate coursework:
Pale Blue Dot; The Demon-Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark; Cosmos by Carl Sagan (favorite author so far. I wish I was born a quarter century earlier to be able to experience "Uncle Carl" in the flesh.)
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe - I have to read this!
For further study of geography:
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
Longitude by Dava Sobel
For breaking the 4 year long abstinence of mathematics unless you count a failed attempt at statistics.....and and intro comp sci course that doesn't really count which I did not fail. And for feeling like an idiot and perhaps having poor arithmetic skills which is actually a disability but nobody but psychologists seem to understand that:
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife
For feeling like a child again and actually having a colorful imagination:
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge (a superhero fantasy)
There are a few more that I'm halfway through but right now I just am not interested enough to take them with me to Japan.
How many hours will I spend actually reading instead of sleeping, or driving to Chiba to go surfing on the volcanic sand beaches of the Pacific I don't know. I've winged it before and I'll wing it again.
For now, FML, FTW and F everyone else...
For shear fun and just because I feel like it and actually have time to read without being bogged down with undergraduate coursework:
Pale Blue Dot; The Demon-Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark; Cosmos by Carl Sagan (favorite author so far. I wish I was born a quarter century earlier to be able to experience "Uncle Carl" in the flesh.)
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe - I have to read this!
For further study of geography:
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
Longitude by Dava Sobel
For breaking the 4 year long abstinence of mathematics unless you count a failed attempt at statistics.....and and intro comp sci course that doesn't really count which I did not fail. And for feeling like an idiot and perhaps having poor arithmetic skills which is actually a disability but nobody but psychologists seem to understand that:
Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife
For feeling like a child again and actually having a colorful imagination:
Black and White by Jackie Kessler and Caitlin Kittredge (a superhero fantasy)
There are a few more that I'm halfway through but right now I just am not interested enough to take them with me to Japan.
How many hours will I spend actually reading instead of sleeping, or driving to Chiba to go surfing on the volcanic sand beaches of the Pacific I don't know. I've winged it before and I'll wing it again.
For now, FML, FTW and F everyone else...
No comments:
Post a Comment