Ah things are finally starting to pick up at last. I've some how become desirable from an employer's standpoint or at least monster.com seems to think so. My resume/cv profile has jumped in strength from medium to strong (monster.com provides you with a short green colored task bar that displays your strength.) Since last week I've been invited to two interviews from to fortune 500 companies: Aflac (remember that stupid duck that tries to sell insurance on tv?) and 1st Investors Inc. (Financial products company: mutual funds, college funds, retirement funds ect.) Aflac didn't really strike me as being all that interesting, they wanted me to go to small businesses and try to get employees to sign up for policies, not really my thing. However 1st Investors seemed a little bit more engaging. Similar to to Aflac but trying to get clients to invest they're money in mutual funds. The important thing is both jobs require me to take a licensing test and pass. For 1st Investors I need to take the Series 6 exam. Good news is both offer very good salary based off commission from sales, 1st Investors claimed that six figure income was attainable within a few years and they meant like 2-3. Nevertheless I'm sure that they pulled that from their top sales people who most of us will be no where's near as good as.
So at least I'm getting somewhere. Sent my CV off to two other environmental firms with the hope of landing something at least in my field. Envrion Corp. and some other smaller start-up I believe. I would really like to hear back from these two soon.
Slowly ploughing through the FAA's practice written test for the Private Pilot and getting consistent 80%s. This is more than enough to pass but I want at least 90s before I plunk down $100 to take the real test. Went with Ryan my 3rd instructor for hamburgers at the restaurant at Sky Manor (N40) in Sommerville, NJ just a 10min hop from Princeton. After eating we climbed back into our scrappy little Cessna 152 and took off to practice diversions. Ryan gave me a random compass heading to fly for a few minutes then another one to follow. The idea was to get me to be able to find Princeton without flying directly to it from the departure airport and without using my GPS or VORs (VHF Omnidirectional range). Wasn't as easy as I thought despite the clear day. Turns out NJ looks very similar just about everywhere; suburbs, highways, more suburbs. I need to practice figuring out where I am based on just looking outside the window and staring at the map, nothing else.
Drove my brother to the DMV for the 3rd time. He passed his written test and got a permit. Only problem is he needs to wait at least 6 months before he can schedule his road test. Gotta love New Jersey. I think this is the reason I got a NY permit and licences, there were no time constraints and far less B.S. involved with proof of identity. I really wish that there was only a federal driver's license or "American" license, like every other country. Hey wait a minute, that's what the FAA does, you don't have individual state pilot's licenses, they're all the same and they're good everywhere! Best of all was the I.D. requirement was just a passport or driver's license. No need for the 6 points of I.D. crap where you need a mailed bank statement, social security card, birth certificate, geez!
Went to the movies with Anna this evening. Saw "500 Days of Summer," it was really good albeit the cheesy ending (yeah sorry I spoiled it for you but seriously who cares, you're all adults I presume so deal with it!). It's got the long haired dude from "Eurotrip" and I think the girl from "Yes Man (Zooey Deschanel aka Tricia McMillian from HHG2TG)." Was a falling in and then out of love kind of story. Very true I though. It dismisses the idea of fate or destiny and true love as being just illusions to which reality and existence is just simply all coincidences. We have coincidences everyday and those coincidences are the basis for the decisions we make in life which are for the most part random. It was sad, it was funny, it was surreal, it was shockingly realistic.
So remember kids, there's no such thing as "The One," love, it's just different levels of likeness that our minds play on us to get us to procreate. Marriage is a ridiculous contract that binds people to only procreate with each other exclusively. And what does this all end with? If you're lucky, you'll be happy and if you're not, you'll be unhappy. Reality's a bitch. And so is Jenny Beckman apparently.
Moral of the story: Don't listen to sad British pop music, it's depressing. Don't take the movie "The Graduate" too seriously. If you had a difficult childhood that makes you cold and unemotional, then you'll probably end up fucking with someones head, breaking they're heart and not regretting it because you're a selfish whore. Oh and nobody likes Ringo Star either!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
looking on the brightside while wearing shades...
Labels:
1st Investors,
500 Days of Summer,
Aflac,
Anna,
coincidences,
FAA,
Hamburgers,
HHG2TG,
monster.com,
NJ DMV,
reality,
Sky Manor
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment